You guessed it....let the potty training begin! I felt a little pressured to start because several of the kids in Andrew's play school class are already using the potty. And, since most of his classmates are younger, I felt like the other moms were thinking that I was a super slacker mom. Keep in mind that my original plan was to wait until Andrew was closer to 3. Plans be darned.
I have to relay my amazement at this process. Learning to use the toilet is the pits, and ultimately, it makes life harder for moms and dads. I am going to have to scurry for a toilet (in 30 seconds or less) now while out running errands. I know that a travel potty will be a must.
On the morning of April 29th, Andrew started wearing underwear. So, on the morning of April 29th, he also started peeing in his underwear. My chosen training method is: wear underwear or stay half naked (which I am fairly certain that he prefers) while at home, and wear a pull up or diaper when out and about.
Here is a money shot of DAY 1. Look closely. Do you see what I see?
Yep, that is my son, peeing on our patio. He has no idea that he is doing anything "wrong". Hilarious! Do you think that Ellen would accept this photo on her show with the title: Potty Training Day One, EPIC FAIL
Keep in mind, Andrew doesn't love peeing or pooping in his pants, but he doesn't seem devastated or horribly embarrassed. I know that I am nearly 30 years removed from this process, but for me, peeing or pooping my pants is the ultimate humiliation. Ask Nick about my very awkward Kailua beach walk post baby Andrew sometime. I wish there had been a giant hole to swallow me whole. I considered buying adult diapers for all subsequent walks or runs for those times that I had well, the runs.
By day 4, he was on board with going pee on the potty. Fewer accidents each day. Less complaining. More cheering, singing, and of course treats. Green treats to be exact. My son is a total DIVA. He wants us to pick out green M&Ms, green jelly beans, green sprees. Me or Nick: "Woo hoo! Andrew pee peed on the potty! You want a treat?" Andrew: "Yes. One, two green (fill in the blank here with candy)." Are you kidding me??!!
Now, let's get to the important potty training topic. POOP. Andrew had been avoiding pooping on the potty. He would poop when we were out at the playground or walking around the block or shopping. He would tell me, but alas, there was nothing that I could do, and honestly, there was not enough time between the warning and the poop face. On Wednesday, I decided to up the ante. I headed to Target to get my poop treat bag together. Several dollar prizes. Bribery, you say? YES.
After showing Andrew the poop grab bag, Andrew had his eye on the Matchbox Roller starting Wednesday afternoon. Thursday, he pooped twice. Unfortunately, neither made their way to the toilet bowl until they had first reached his prized Thomas underpants. After one week of trials and one whole day with no poop at all, Friday, May 6th was a great success. Andrew pooped in the potty for the first time yesterday. Many thanks to Nick who ran him to the potty as soon as Andrew said that he had to go and prior to the first crucial push. The whole family was present for the great and awe inspiring plop. Andrew dismounted from the potty, proud as ever, took a good look at the poop, made an excited comment about the poop, then gave us the play by play as he flushed it down the hole. Oh, Nick and I were such proud parents in that moment. After Andrew washed his hands, I asked him if he knew what he got for pooping on the potty. "Yes. A treat. Andrew wants the roller!" Best $.99 I ever spent as a mom.

No comments:
Post a Comment