Ken refused to make a voluntary appearance. He needed to be kicked out of his very comfortable home and pushed out (literally) into the big, bad world. Nick and I woke up on Monday, October 11th, ready for I-Day, or Induction Day. Actually, I barely slept because I was a bucket of nerves, and at 3:15 a.m., I stopped trying! On the other hand, Nick could sleep soundly if the world was expecting a nuclear holocaust....must be nice. Anyway, Nick and I were prepared to head out to the hospital for our 6 a.m. "appointment". We called to check bed availability at the hospital, and it only figures that the hospital was full with women who had been able to spontaneously go into labor. Needless to say, I was jealous of those ladies. 7:30 came, no space. 10:00 came, no space. But, WAIT! At 11:15, the charge nurse called and asked if we could be at the hospital at 12:30. YES! I was 41 weeks, 1 day. I did not want to spend another day pregnant if it could be avoided.
We arrived at the hospital around 12:20 p.m., made our way to labor and delivery, and walked into the room where our son would be born. Here is a pic of me goofing off while I waited for my amazing doctor to come break my water.
My official labor plan was to allow labor to progress effectively prior to getting an epidural. Apparently to me, this translates to: Wait until you are in a ton of pain, then request the epidural. This plan backfired on me during Andrew's birth. I was fully dilated when the epidural was placed (which we discovered after the epidural had been administered), so I received no pain relief at all. One would think that restructuring my birth plan was a good idea, but I am as stubborn as my son who refused to come out on his own.
At 1:00, Dr. Wells arrived, and after a quick check, we found out that I was nearly 5 cm and 80% effaced (for those who want the labor lingo). Then, he promptly broke my water. He congratulated me on clear, good looking fluid. Dr. Wells said that it was a good sign that Ken had not "pooped in the pool".
The contractions started, but they were wimpy. My nurse, Linda, started my IV at 1:15. Fluid, fluid, fluid. Last in the IV lineup was the pitocin, which Linda hooked up at 1:25. More contractions, but not bad. 15 minutes pass. I am beginning to breath through the contractions. Quickly, I was turning to the tougher lamaze breathing. The contractions were about 1 1/2 minutes apart and tough. Nick looked like he was beginning to panic. I was beginning to get bossy: Talk to me during contractions. Rub my body during contractions. After about 45 minutes, I caved. May I meet the anesthesiologist? My official diagnosis: PITOCIN IS THE DEVIL!
The nurse anesthetist arrived, asked a few questions, and I signed my life away at the X. Let's be honest, I would have agreed to just about anything at that point for an epidural. In exhange for a kidney? Yes. Can my labor photos be used in a medical journal? Yes. You get the picture.
At 3:00, the epidural was working fully, so Linda checked me again. I was 8 cm. I freaked out a bit. All the blood drained out of my face, and I asked Nick for a wet rag for my head. Oh my gosh this was going fast. Ken was on the Vagina Super Highway. My nurse said that the baby will be here soon. At 3:30, my room was prepped for delivery. The warmer arrived, the surgical tech, my doctor, more nurses. Linda looked at me and said that I would have the baby within 30 minutes. Wait, WHAT?!
When all was said and done, I pushed through 4 contractions. Thanks to Linda's and Dr. Wells's example, Nick encouraged me throughout the pushing. Upon my first glimpse of Ken, I said, "Oh my gosh, he looks just like Andrew." About 10 seconds later, Ken had fully entered the world, and I heard his cries for the first time. He has a throaty, deep cry, much like his brother did.
Kenneth "Ken" Riley Fredland
8 lbs. 12 oz. 3:55 p.m.
20 1/4 in.
Less than three hours after my water was broken, another piece of perfection entered our lives. Nick and I were elated to finally meet Ken, this elusive little man!
Love.
Nick, proud Papa, wondering
what the big deal about labor is anyway.
Ken getting all cozy after
his LONG disappearance for a bath.
Big brother, Andrew, meets Ken Tuesday morning!
The Fredland Boys
Tearing, stitches, and sore nipples aside, I am delighted to be home with all of my boys (and Advil, Colace, Tucks Pads, epifoam, and a squirt bottle). Life is good.
Brotherly love
Oh the squirt bottle, what a treasure!
ReplyDelete