Thursday, September 15, 2011

No Greater Love

John 15:13
No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends.  

A decade has passed since the attacks on our nation that occurred on September 11, 2001.  Nick and I watched some of the news coverage on Sunday morning, and he kept saying that it was depressing.  While, yes, some of the coverage was depressing, I found many things uplifting:  seeing the victims' families visiting the memorial and hearing stories of heroism and determination.  Although the efforts by the terrorists that day were horrific, the actions of many of the victims and first responders were awe inspiring.

At Mass on Sunday, we had a tribute to the American flag.  We sang America the Beautiful.  We prayed for the 9/11 victims and their families.  Between the two sweet disruptions at my feet (Ken and Andrew), my thoughts kept going back to the sacrifice that those people paid for our nation and for our freedom by simply going to work on September 11th.  And even more, how thankful I am for men and women in our nation who are first responders and military members and who face paying the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom and our country each day.   

Nick and I set out to take the family to the Museum of Science and History (MOSH) at lunchtime on Sunday before the kids took a nap, and of course, I did not look up the hours.  So, we arrived just before noon and the museum did not open until 1.  Luckily, Friendship Fountain and St. John's River Park is next to the museum, so we headed there to have a little picnic.  We happened into the perfect thing for the anniversary of September 11th.  The fountain has a patriotic soundtrack that coordinates with the water feature, and had it been dark, there is a light show too.  It felt good to sing along with Lee Greenwood and other artists, and I was able to reflect on just how proud I am to be an American and just how lucky my two children are.  When I look back at my childhood, I remember my dad tearing up while singing the Star Spangled Banner.  I thought it was odd; I always wondered why he was crying.  Now, as an adult, I understand the emotion and pride that my dad felt for being an American.  

If you live in Jacksonville, you need to check out Friendship Fountain.  I thought that Sunday afternoon was perfect, but it got better!  Nick and Andrew were checking out the riverfront, and they spotted dolphins.  I headed over with Kenneth, and we got to watch a little pod of dolphins swimming near the bridge together.  Normally, I am raving about the MOSH, but the dolphins eclipsed the MOSH that day!   

A friend's facebook post on Sunday evening prompted me to ponder: "Am I encouraging my children to live a life of service and sacrifice?".  I hope that Nick and I are creating an environment in our home that models loving each other and our neighbors.  We go to church as a family, we participate in sacraments, we donate our used items, we use rules that reinforce kindness.  But, as a parent, is my heart open to my children really serving?  I want to protect my children at all costs, both emotionally and physically; however, I know that my plan is not what is best for my children.  I need to pray that God is guiding each of my children into their own specific life of service.  My mind and heart need to be open to God's plan for them.  They might be parents or clergy or military members or first responders.  Above all, I want them to love God and to love our country.  

I encourage each of you to remember to pray for our nation and its leadership.  I am guilty of complaining about our leaders, but I should put more focus into praying for those who lead our country.  We are the land of the free and home of the brave.  We are free.  I pray that the United States of America and its citizens are shining examples of freedom and the positive atmosphere that it can create.  I pray that my boys experience a free thinking world with an emphasis on education, innovation, enterprise, and beauty.  God bless the USA.  

Check out some of my iphone pictures below.  

Andrew and Nick

Ken enjoying his spoon

Beautiful Day with Dad


  

1 comment:

  1. Ann Marie - Where have I been? I had no idea you had a blog! Wonderful reading it, you are a great Mom and your kids will no doubt reflect that in whatever they choose to do!

    ReplyDelete